Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Experience

by David Kau

What another great and glorius day at the world missions conference. Today was a very busy day. It started with a message from Zollie Smith and ended with some hip hop dancing.

Reverend Zollie Smith was the first african american speaker I have ever experience hearing a message from. He spoke with such power it scared me. His message was "it is up to you, to do something". That something was going on missions and using God's gift he given to us to help the lost.

Next up was a lunch with two missionaries from El Salvador. We met Bob and Zorel. Zorel was really quiet, while Bob was the talker. He told us how dangerous it is to live in El Salvador. Bob is a lifetime missionary and his father was too. He kind of just followed in his father's footsteps.

After lunch, the unique individual experience began. We had to break into individual sessions to explore different missions fields. My partner in crime was Erin.

We first went to the Northern Asia experience. This part of the world mainly dealt with nothern China, which is a place I have no experience with. My family is from the south and I know the south is more open to foreigners and Christianity. The North however is more communist and dislike foreigners and different religions. It would be a whole new experience to be a missionary there not knowing anyone and the language.

Our next stop was Latin America. I know how to speak a little Spanish, but it won't fly there. I learned about the Latin America Child Care missionaries who help children get a education in different parts of Latin America. I believe that education is very important and is the only way for third world countries to rise up and become major players in the world.

The last session we went to was the Asian pacific. Me and Erin decided to go to this session because of the Hurst family. We met and spoke with Jhan Hurst which to my new knowledge, is Rolly and Russ's uncle. Very interesting. The Hurst family really have their calling in Asian Pacific. Asian pacific also had the coolest slogan, can't be silenced. I must wear that shirt to church on Sunday.

Finally for the night gathering, Pastor Dick Brogden spoke. His message was clear and simple. There are two things that stops us from going on missions: fear and inconvience. I really do not have a problem with fear because I am a guy and going on a mission is like a adventure to me. I would relish it. However what stops me is my inconviences: my family and my job. In a way, they are both related. My family expects me to succeed at my job. If I just decided to just quit my job and go on a year long mission trip I think they would disown me. I need to continue to pray to the Holy Spirit for answers.

What a great day. Thank you Jesus. Thank you God. The night ended with a new year party. So:

Happy New Year!!!


David

2 comments:

A Young said...

Wow, David, that is some awesome things that the Lord is speaking to you. See, though I was with you most of the day, I probably had some different things, because the Holy Spirit speaks differently to each person.

free said...

Hey thx David for sharing; I know God has great plans for your life but remember to take it 1 step at a time with Him.